Gardening aka: Garduino

I know it's been a while since I've posted anything here but I've still been busy tinkering. My latest project is an automated watering system for seed starting trays for the garden we'll be planting later this spring.

The concept is to have multiple soil moisture sensors to know how wet the soil is and solenoid valves controlled by relays to water the plants.

The soil probes came from Amazon. They give an analog reading and an adjustable on/off signal. I've written the code to make it easy to switch between setting the values in the Arduino sketch or using the digital signal and adjusting the trim pots on the sensors.

Soil Probe


The relays are readily available on Amazon as well as different types of solenoid valves. I'll be using 12v solenoid valves so I'll need the relays to control them. I have a small 12v battery I'll be using to power the solenoids.

5V Relays

12V Solenoid Valves



I'm also going to add at least one DHT11 temperature and humidity sensor and some photocells to get light values.

DHT11 Temp and Humidity Sensor



Photoresistor



 The code is still a work in progress and the hardware still needs to be assembled. I'll update and add more photos once it's up and running. For now here's the current state of the code. I've added things like code to display information on one of my Tinkerkit LCD displays. I also plan on having a webcam server setup once the plants start growing. Possibly with some sensor data displayed and maybe even some web controls.

I spent some time commenting this so hopefully it won't be too confusing.

Comments

Popular Posts